Search
Close this search box.

Day: December 9, 2025

W. Visayas Records Lower Birth Rate While Fertility Rate Holds Steady

Bacolod city: The total fertility rate (TFR) in Western Visayas at 2.2 in 2024 remains stable amid the recorded 11.7 percent decline in births for the year. In a press conference on Tuesday, Commission and Population Development (CPD) Western Visayas Regional Director Harold Alfred Marshall said that births are indeed slowing down, but the TFR is a bit higher than the replacement level of 2.1, the worldwide accepted threshold for a locality to maintain a healthy population. According to Philippines News Agency, Marshall expressed his hope that the TFR would not drop to 2.1, as a lower TFR could have

Tobacco Farmers in Ilocos Norte to Receive PHP3,000 Fuel Subsidy

Ilocos norte: An estimated 3,000 tobacco farmers in Ilocos Norte are set to receive a fuel subsidy amounting to PHP3,000 each starting early next year. This development follows the approval of Resolution No. 2025-12-03 by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, which grants authority to Ilocos Norte Governor Cecilia Araneta Marcos to enter into a memorandum of agreement with a gasoline station for the implementation of the provincial government’s fuel subsidy program. According to Philippines News Agency, engineer Teresa Bacnat, the acting provincial agriculturist, stated that the government will partner with a qualified gasoline station to distribute the fuel subsidy vouchers to the

PCG Rescues Nine Fishers from Sunken Motor Banca Near Nogas Island

Antique: The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) rescued nine fishers after their motor banca sank 19 nautical miles southwest of Nogas Island in Anini-y, Antique on Monday. In a statement on Tuesday, the PCG District Western Visayas (CGDWV) said search and rescue operations were carried out by BRP Kalanggaman (FPB-2404) after receiving a distress call from the fishers aboard the sinking FBCA KIMSYVEL off the coast of Western Visayas. According to Philippines News Agency, all nine fishermen aboard the distressed motor banca were safely located and rescued by the responding Coast Guard personnel. The rescued fishers were taken to PCG Station

Former PCO Executive Appointed to MECO Board

Manila: President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has appointed former Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Cherbett Karen Maralit as the new board member of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO). Palace Press Officer Claire Castro confirmed to Palace reporters Maralit’s new government assignment. According to Philippines News Agency, Marcos signed Maralit’s appointment paper on Dec. 2. Maralit replaced former PCO Secretary Jay Ruiz, who assumed the post in July this year after his brief stint as the government’s communications head. Maralit previously held the post of PCO undersecretary for operations, administration, finance, and government-owned or -controlled corporations. She represented the

DPWH to Test San Juanico Bridge Capacity

San juan: San Juanico Bridge will undergo testing on Wednesday to find out if heavy vehicles can already be allowed to use it within the month, Leyte Gov. Carlos Jericho Petilla said. Petilla, chair of the Eastern Visayas Regional Development Council (RDC), announced that the testing by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is scheduled ahead of the plan to increase the bridge’s capacity by Friday. According to Philippines News Agency, DPWH officials reported that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. plans to visit on Friday. “If the President comes, that means the bridge is ready for heavy vehicles,” Petilla

Recent Posts