Manila: The National Security Council (NSC) is currently looking into reports that the father and son behind Australia’s deadliest mass shooting traveled to the Philippines a month before the attack. ‘The National Security Council is aware of reports that the individuals involved in the Bondi Beach shooting in Australia had previously traveled to the Philippines, and these reports are currently being validated,’ Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said in a press briefing.
According to Philippines News Agency, Castro issued the statement following reports that father-son gunmen Sajid and Naveed Akram underwent ‘military-style’ training in the Philippines a month before attacking a Hanukkah event at Sydney’s Bondi Beach. At least 16 people have died, and 40 remain hospitalized following the shooting.
Reports indicate that the attack was ‘inspired by Islamic State.’ Sajid was shot and killed by Australian police at the scene, while Naveed remains hospitalized. The Philippine Consulate General in Sydney on Monday said no Filipino has been reported dead or injured from the terror attack.
As of press time, Castro said there is no confirmed information indicating that the shooters’ visit posed a security threat. ‘This is not considered a serious or immediate concern. Standard security, immigration, and counterterrorism protocols remain fully active, with coordination ongoing with Australian authorities,’ she said.