The 34th Annual APL Smokin’ Wheels weekend kicks off April 15 and runs through April 17 at the Guam International Raceway in Yigo.
More than 100 world-class racing participants will be coming from Japan, the Philippines and the United States to compete in the event.
Smokin’ Wheels is the largest and longest-running motorsports event in the region, according to a news release, and has been the premier event for off-road endurance racing, off-road buggies, truck challenges, motocross racing, ATV racing, drifting and drag racing.
The weekend will kick off on Friday with Street Night at the drag strip and championship qualifiers, the news release stated.
Saturday will feature heats for ATV, UTV and trophy kart, off-road buggies and trucks, the Show Off Guam Car Show, as well as interactive displays. The day will be capped by the Smokin’ Wheels drag race championships.
Sunday will feature 85cc minibike endurance race, mid-open ATV endurance race, open motorcycle endurance race, the Jack Daniel’s Smokin’ Grills Competition, Triple J Raptor Truck Challenge, off-road buggies and truck endurance race, 4X4 mud drags, and mini-mid ATV endurance race.
There also will be drifting with the Proline Drift Series. Two Japanese Pro D1 drivers — Manabu Fujinaka and Yuki “Dart” Izumida — will go compete with Guam’s top expert and novice drivers.
No outside food, drinks or coolers are allowed.
Food and refreshments from local barbecue vendors, sandwiches from food trucks and Håfaloha shaved ice will be available throughout the weekend.
IF YOU GO
- What: 34th Annual APL Smokin’ Wheels
- When: April 15-17
- Where: Guam International Raceway in Yigo
- Tickets: $10 for day pass and $20 for weekend pass. Children under 11 are free. Available at all Shell gas stations, MWR and Andersen ITT.
SMOKIN’ WHEELS SCHEDULE
- 9 a.m. to noon: Open Practice 1 – off-road buggies and trucks
- 12:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.: ATV and motorcycle MX practice (MX course)
- 7 to 11:30 p.m.: Street Night at the GIR Drag Strip, championship qualifiers
- 8 a.m. to 11:25 a.m.: MX Heat 1 Motocross, ATV, UTV, trophy kart
- 11:30 a.m. to noon: Open Practice 2 – off-road buggies
- 12:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.: MX Heat 2 Motorcross and ATV
- 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.: Show Off Guam Car Show
- 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.: Smokin’ Wheels drag race championships
- 7 a.m. to 8 a.m: 85cc minibike endurance race
- 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.: mid-open ATV endurance race
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: open motorcycle endurance race
- 10 a.m to 4 p.m.: Jack Daniel’s Smokin’ Grills
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Triple J Raptor Truck Challenge
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: off-road buggies and trucks endurance race
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.: mud drags
- 4 p.m.: Jack Daniel’s Smokin’ Grills awards
- 4:45 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.: mini-mid ATV endurance race
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Round 1 Proline Drift Series
Schedule is subject to change.