QC fire incidents down 27% in first five months

MANILA-- Fire incidents in Quezon City decreased by 27.77 percent from January to May this year compared to the same period last year.

Senior Supt. Manuel Manuel, fire marshal of Quezon City on Wednesday said records at the Bureau of Fire Protection showed there were 463 fire incidents recorded in Quezon City from January to May this year, which is 178 less than 641 posted in the same period last year.

Our proactive approach in instilling fire safety consciousness among residents did the trick, Manuel said during the Local Peace and Order Council meeting.

The significant decrease in fire incidents in the first quarter of 2017 was the result of a successful information campaign that the BFP implemented nationwide.

During the first meeting of QC Peace and Order Council in January, Mayor Herbert Bautista directed the Quezon City Fire District to implement fire safety patrols which he said was a tactic used by the New York Fire Department.

In New York, you can see firetrucks going around the city even when there's no fire just to make the people conscious of the need to be on alert at all times, Bautista said.

Following the mayor's directive, QC firefighters were ordered to conduct house-to-house information campaigns where they distributed pamphlets and flyers about fire prevention techniques, proper handling of electrical appliances, the right way to operate and handle fire extinguishers, and other fire safety measures.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts