Police were supposed to report to court on Tuesday

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Khurshid Alam on Tuesday set May 22 as the new date for the report’s submission, said court police’s General Recording Officer Sub-Inspector Jalal Ahmed.

He said the order came following a hearing on a plea from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police.

A court last month fixed Apr 19 for police to file their findings.

A case, lodged under the Money Laundering Prevention Act and the ICT Act, accuses unknown hackers of the theft that took place in February.

The CID are probing the case started by the central bank’s Joint Director Jubair Bin Huda.

After the funds were stolen from the account in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Bangladesh government on Mar 15 formed an investigation committee.

The panel, headed by former central bank governor Mohammed Farashuddin, has been asked to submit an interim report within a month and a full reportwithin 75 days.

Hackers made a number of transfer orders in early February from Bangladesh Bank’s account through SWIFT messaging system that banks use for international transfer.

Of the money, transfer of $20 million to Sri Lanka could be halted. But $81 million found its way to and beyond the Philippines.

The matter was brought into public domain by the Philippine Daily Inquirer at the end of February. It was later found that the central bank officials knew about the matter but had kept it under wraps for a month.                

Facing harsh criticism and intense pressure for an apparent cover-up, Bangladesh Bank governor Atiur Rahman had stepped down.

A senate committee in the Philippines is currently hearing the case being investigated by the anti-money laundering agency AMLC there.

A suspect in the Philippines, Chinese-born casino junket operator Kim Wong has returned nearly $10 million of the stolen fund to the AMLC.

But it is still not clear in the information provided in the senate hearing whether it will be possible to recover the remaining money.

Related posts