MANILA -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said it had already coordinated with the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) for the warrant of arrest issued against Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) leader Jose Maria "Joma" Sison and 37 others.
"Ito naman ay standard procedure natin, ang maimpormahan ang ating mga counterparts abroad patungkol sa mga tao o Pilipinong may standing warrant of arrest. (This is our standard procedure to inform our counterparts abroad about persons or Filipinos who have a standing warrant of arrest), said PNP spokesperson, Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac, in a press briefing.
Kinakailangan ding maimpormahan sila dahil concern din sila sa kani-kanilang mga security (They have need to be informed also because they are also concerned about their own security)," Banac added.
On Aug. 28, 2019, the Regional Trial Court Branch 32 in Manila issued the warrant of arrest against self-exiled Sison and 37 individuals including National Democratic Front (NDF) consultants Luis Jalandoni, Prudencio Calubid, and Geronimo Pasetes.
RTC Judge Thelma Bunyi-Medina ordered the arrest of the 38 for their alleged involvement in the so-called Inopacan massacre in Leyte on Sept. 2, 1985. No bail was recommended.
Based on estimates of former rebels and the victims' relatives, the Inopacan massacre, dubbed by the New People's Army as Oplan Venereal Disease, claimed the lives of about 300 residents in Leyte province.
Banac said warrant of arrest will be immediately served once the PNP gets information from its foreign counterparts.
Ang buong PNP ay nakaatanbay upang matugunan kung ano man ang mga information na makuha natin sa kinaroroonan ng bawat isa sa kanila, (The entire PNP is ready to respond to whatever information we will get on their whereabouts), he said.
The CPP-NPA is listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Philippines. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency