MANILA Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Ronald dela Rosa on Friday assured that all preparations and contingency measures are in place to handle the exodus of people for the Holy Week break.
Leading police officials in inspecting the Araneta Center Bus Terminal in Cubao, Quezon City, dela Rosa called on the public to call the PNP hotline at 2286 and 911 if they have police-related concerns.
In the National Capital Region alone, some 5,000 policemen will be deployed to patrol identified hotspots under the PNP's "Ligtas Sumvac 2018".
The 90-day security plan starts from last week of March until the second week of June.
Dela Rosa said the regular inspection of bus terminals is to ensure that such contraband as explosives, firearms and bladed weapons are screened properly and that security protocols are strictly implemented.
"So far yung ating buong PNP ay naka-full alert status, meaning 100 percent ng ating kapulisan ay nagdu-duty habang yung ating mga mamamayan ay nagbabakasyon (So far the entire PNP is on full alert, meaning 100 percent of our police force is on duty while Filipinos are vacationing)," he said.
He also appealed to barangay tanods (village watchmen) and local law enforcers to do the same, securing their respective villages and subdivisions while majority of the people in their neighborhood are taking their Holy Week break.
Patrols will be assigned in suburbs to prevent cases of burglaries and home invasions while the owners are away and will be complemented by police assistance centers along the national highways, he added.
While law enforcers are keeping a close watch on the situation, dela Rosa said they have yet to receive any report on impending terrorist attacks.
Source: Philippine News Agency