PNP: 53 of the 158 inmates who fled North Cotabato jail now accounted for

Police here said a total of 53 inmates who fled from North Cotabato Provincial Jail after an attack by an armed group on Wednesday have been accounted for in an intensified manhunt.

Senior Supt. Emmanuel Peralta, North Cotabato police provincial director, said 43 of the inmates were recaptured, eight were killed and two were injured and are confined in the hospital.

"Our manhunt operation continues for other inmates in partnership with other law enforcement agencies," Peralta said, adding that with 53 inmates accounted for, there are 105 inmates more who remained at large and the subject of massive manhunt.

Peralta however said there was no shoot to kill order unless the escapees, during operation, will resist and put dangers to law enforcers.

Peralta is still appealing to the public to help the PNP and AFP recover the remaining 105 fleeing inmates by giving reliable information.

He also appealed to relatives of the escapees to convince them to surrender than allowing themselves to be subjected to manhunt by law enforcers.

About 100 heavily armed men, led by Nasser Esmael alias "Commander Derbi," attacked the jail facility at about 1 a.m. on Wednesday, rescued their comrades and allowed others to escape.

Commander Derbi was a former detainee of the provincial jail for murder and bombing charges, thus he was familiar with the compound located in Barangay Amas, Kidapawan City. He escaped in August last year.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts