MANILA -- The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday issued an advisory urging Filipinos planning to travel to Egypt to exercise "a higher level of vigilance", following a roadside bombing in Giza that killed four people and wounded several others.
The Philippine Embassy in Cairo said three Vietnamese tourists and an Egyptian tour guide were killed, while 10 others were injured as an improvised explosive struck a tourist bus at El-Maryoutiya St. in Giza's Haram district on Friday.
The area, where the bombing took place, is less than an hour away from the famous pyramids of Giza that are frequented by foreign tourists.
Ambassador to Egypt Sulpicio Confiado Jr. said the bomb was hidden in a wall and exploded as the bus, carrying 14 Vietnamese tourists, passed by.
He said that in addition to Filipino tourists, the embassy's advisory covers the estimated 5,000 Filipinos residing and working in Egypt.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing but Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Hafez called the attack a "despicable terrorist act." (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency