Pinoy suicide bombers seen behind Sulu attack

MANILA -The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said the attack at the tactical command post of the 1st Brigade Combat Team (1BCT) in Barangay Kajatian, Indanan, Sulu last week that killed eight persons and wounded 22 others could have been perpetrated by Filipino suicide bombers.

PNP chief, Gen. Oscar Albayalde, said the carrier of the first improvised explosive device (IED) could be a Filipino.

What we know so far, even the Armed Forces of the Philippines, is their identity. And they are not foreign nationals, Albayalde told reporters in a press briefing Monday.

Albayalde, however, was quick to clarify that verification is still being conducted to confirm the report, noting that there is also a report that the suicide bombers are foreigners.

There is no confirmed identity yet but there is information from intelligence reports and other witnesses that we are gathering. We can give the true identity not only one but both the perpetrators. If ever, this is the first time that we have locals as suicide bombers, he stressed.

Authorities also recovered from the blast sites the mutilated bodies of the two bombers.

We all know that the AFP said there are two suicide bombers. As to what they used, we have yet to determine that, he said.

Investigation, he said, is still being conducted to determine the type of the improvised explosive device used in the attacks.

Albayalde also ordered the implementation of security adjustments in Mindanao following the bomb attacks last week.

While he did not elaborate on these, Albayalde said these measures would focus on the security of police camps and public places, especially in Sulu and Basilan.

Albayalde said the PNP is working closely with the AFP to establish the circumstances surrounding this incident to possibly identify and make the perpetrators accountable so that the ends of justice may be served.

Territorial police units in Sulu island, including SAF and regional mobile forces are providing support to AFP for target-hardening operations in other possible targets of similar terrorist activity, the PNP chief said. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts