MANILA There are no immediate reports of casualties following the 6.8 magnitude earthquake, which hit Indonesia's Sulawesi Island on Friday night.
However, the Philippine government continues to monitor its aftermath despite the lifting of the tsunami warning issued by Indonesia due to the tremor, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
The DFA also issued a bulletin, confirming that the lone Filipino in the area is safe. The unnamed Filipino also said the quake did not cause any significant damage in the area.
The Indonesia's Geophysical Agency on Friday night also lifted the tsunami warning it issued for coastal communities in Morowali district following the tremor.
The United States Geological Survey said the quake had a magnitude of 6.8, with an epicenter far from the Palu, Sulawesi, which suffered from a devastating tsunami and quake that killed thousands last year.
The quake struck at 7:40 p.m. (8:40 p.m. Philippine time) at a shallow depth of 10 kilometers off the east coast of Sulawesi Island. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency