MANILARetired Army general Jovito Palparan will be transferred to serve his sentence at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City from the military detention facility in Camp Aguinaldo on Oct. 4 (Thursday), Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said.
"The target (date) for Palparan's transfer (is) Thursday morning," Guevarra told newsmen on Wednesday.
Earlier this week, the Malolos City Regional Trial Court (RTC) turned down Palparan's plea to stop his transfer.
The Supreme Court-Office of the Court Administrator Circular No.163-2013 directs all trial court judges to cause the immediate transfer of convicted persons to the NBP, regardless of the pendency of a motion for reconsideration or an appeal.
Last Sept. 17, the Malolos RTC Branch 15 found Palparan, retired Lt. Col. Felipe Anotado Jr. and S/Sgt. Edgardo Osorio guilty of kidnapping and serious illegal detention in connection with the abduction and disappearance of University of the Philippines students Karen EmpeAo and Sherlyn Cadapan in 2006.
Aside from the 40-year jail term, the court also directed Palparan, Anotado and Osorio to pay the families of EmpeAo and Cadapan the amount of PHP100,000 as civil indemnity and PHP200,000 as moral damages for each case. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency