Palace on ‘Comeleak’: Comelec should come clean

Malacanang on Friday said the Commission on Elections (Comelec) should come clean to maintain its credibility following an allegations of a so-called 'Comeleak" involving the reported hacking of the Comelec's voter data base weeks before the May 2016 national elections.

"We exhort that Comelec release a report of an investigation it conducted on the data leak, if any, to maintain the credibility of the constitutional body and uphold the integrity of the electoral process," Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Martin Andanar said in a press statement.

Last Thursday, the National Privacy Commission (NPC) has recommended the criminal prosecution of Comelec chairman Andres Bautista and other officials of the poll body for negligence following the hacking of the Comelec's voter database in March last year.

"The Comeleak has been described as one of the worst breaches of a government-controlled database. Thus it is an issue that simply cannot be swept under the rug," Andanar said.

"Comelec should come clean and hold itself accountable for the millions of data that became susceptible to risks such as identity theft and fraud," he added.

Andanar said the Comelec should not only protect the vote but "it must protect the voter as well."

He said the NPC should be commended for taking the side of the people whose privacy has been violated.

"Let us put an end to election-related maneuverings and ensure that any attempt to subvert the people's will, no matter how sophisticated, will not succeed," Andanar said.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts