MANILAMalacaAang on Sunday denounced the reported massacre of nine activist sugar workers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Saturday night.
We condemn in the strongest possible terms the reported deaths of sugar workers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental, Presidential Spokesperson and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo said in a press statement.
He said the Palace is deeply perturbed to learn about the incident, assuring the families of the victims that the government will conduct a thorough and impartial investigation of the dastardly act.
The Office of the President adheres to the principle that the right to life shall remain unthreatened by proprietary interests, and this extends to agrarian settings, Panelo said.
Families of the victims of this extremely cruel act can count on the government that it will enforce the full wrath of the law against its perpetrators, he added.
Meanwhile, the Palace also strongly condemned the ambush of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Director-General Nela Charade Puno and her convoy in Camarines Sur last week.
Puno survived the ambush but at least three policemen were killed while three others were wounded.
We commend the policemen who died in the line of duty and express our deep condolences to their bereaved families and loved ones. While DG Puno is unharmed by this surprise attack, she has been advised by authorities to defer attending the wake of the policemen, Panelo said in a separate press statement.
We likewise send our prayers and thoughts for the speedy recovery of the policemen who were wounded during this brazen assault, he added.
Panelo said investigation is now underway, assuring that the perpetrators of this unjustifiable act are brought to justice. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency