P60-B connectivity project to spur economic revolution in Mindanao

DAVAO CITY-- Mindanao needs some PHP60 billion to complete the connectivity project around the island.

Secretary Datu Hj. Abul Khayr D. Alonto, chairman of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA), said the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) already has PHP17 billion for infrastructure projects in priority areas of Mindanao this year.

"About PHP43 billion is needed to complete the connection of some 1,500 kilometers in the island," he said at Wednesday's Habi at Kape at Abreeza Mall here.

He added the completion of the connectivity project is envisioned to spur rapid development in Mindanao.

The secretary said the government is targeting a four-year period to fully link all places in Mindanao before President Rodrigo Duterte ends his term.

Secretary Alonto also emphasized that one of the major projects that will be built is the Mindanao High- Speed Railway System (MRS) as part of the connectivity program in Mindanao.

He said they are initially looking at the China Railway Company that built the railway system from Shanghai to Beijing. But the project is open to other investors as it will undergo bidding hopefully within the year.

It could be a government-to-government partnership and the pre-feasibility study could be done in one month while the feasibility study can be completed in two months.

He said the China proposal can employ 100,000 jobs wherein 20 percent will be handled by the Chinese and the remaining 80 percent by Filipinos.

He said the Mindanao railway system "is part of the economic revolution that we envision in Mindanao."

"When everything will be linked we are optimistic that in the ASEAN, Mindanao is the future," Alonto said. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts