MANILAThe Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday said none of the 85 Filipinos who are still in Aleppo were affected by the reported toxic gas attack in Syria.
The reported shelling, with mortars allegedly containing chlorine gas, were directed at densely populated neighborhoods in the war-torn Syrian city.
It's not yet clear who carried out the attack, but Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato said approximately 100 persons were affected.
According to Reena Ghelani, director for the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, people with respiratory symptoms were rushed to the two main medical centers in the area.
The Philippine Embassy in Damascus, for its part, reiterates warning for members of the Filipino Community in Aleppo and other parts of Syria to remain vigilant and to continuously monitor developments.
Charge d'Affaires Alex Lamadrid advised Filipinos to avoid the areas of Jamyet Alzahraa, Al-Khalidyeh and Al-Neil Street in Aleppo, which had been targeted by rebels.
Filipinos who may require assistance are advised to call the Embassy at: +963.949.155.557. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency