No specific threat, but AFP mulls high alert for BOL plebiscite

MANILAWhile it has yet to detect any security threat for the January 21 Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) plebiscite, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) public affairs office chief Col. Noel Detoyato on Wednesday said they are not letting their guard down.

He made this statement when asked on whether or not the AFP has monitored threats for next week's polls.

"So far, na-defuse na natin ang (we have defused the) tension, kaya (so) we don't foresee any major threat in the coming plebiscite. Nevertheless, we are still not letting our guard down and we will ensure the protection of the voters so that they can express themselves," Detoyato said in a message to the Philippine News Agency.

The military is deploying around 10,000 troops and support units to help secure the BOL plebiscite along with the Philippine National Police (PNP).

"Rest assured, the AFP together with the PNP and with the big help from OPPAP (Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process) the LGUs (local government units) and MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) leadership, the coming plebiscite will be conducted smoothly," Detoyato added.

Earlier, the AFP public affairs office chief said the military will do everything in its authority to ensure the successful and peaceful conduct of all election-related activities this year.

The BOL plebiscite is slated for January 21 and February 6 while the mid-term elections will be in May.

"Our combat operations and other security operations will always be in support to the honest, orderly and peaceful conduct of Comelec-sanctioned activities," Detoyato pointed out. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts