MANILA The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday reiterated that the decision to withdraw the police security detail of Senator Antonio Trillanes IV was part of the regular reshuffle of police assignments and was not ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.
"Wala naman siyang (Duterte) utos na tanggalin (There are no orders from the President to remove his security detail)," PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said in a press conference in Camp Crame.
The PNP chief underscored that under present regulations, however, police security details for VIPs and other persons at risk are terminated after a year-long assignment with possible reassignment subject to review upon the application of the person to be secured.
"Di ka puwede forever na nandun (Security personnel cannot be assigned forever to one duty)," Albayalde said, adding that some senators even waive the police security treatment.
He added that the PNP is implementing the doctrine introduced by former Interior Secretary Rafael Alunan III as part of 'Oplan Paglalansag', which frowns upon an excess of more than two security personnel.
On Sunday, the PNP confirmed that it has temporarily reassigned two police security personnel to the senator as it clarified that the recall had been part of a comprehensive review of all protective security personnel from the Police Security and Protection Group (PSPG) that provides security to all qualified VIPs including elected and appointed officials as well as private individuals.
Aside from the PNP security personnel, Trillanes' security detail also includes men detailed by the Senate, two personnel from the Philippine Navy and two troops from the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
The PNP explained that the decision to withdraw police security was meant to ensure that more men will be doing actual core police duties for the general public. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency