MANILA The Philippine Embassy in Japan said no Filipino has been reported injured from the powerful earthquake that struck Hokkaido, Japan on Thursday morning.
Ambassador to Japan Jose C. Laurel said so far there are no Filipinos reported among the missing or injured.
The Embassy is in touch with the Hokkaido Prefectural Government Crisis Management Division, as authorities determine the extent of the damage caused by the quake.
Laurel said the Embassy is ready to provide assistance to affected Filipinos in the area and is working closely with Honorary Consul Ken Tobe and leaders of the Samahang Pilipino sa Hokkaido to monitor their situation. There are around 1,800 Filipinos residing on the island, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
According to Laurel, the Embassy is also checking whether there are Filipino tourists or businessmen visiting Sapporo, Japan's fifth largest city and a popular tourist destination in Hokkaido.
A magnitude-6.7 quake hit the island at around 3 a.m. and some aftershocks are still being felt at this point. Around 3 million buildings across the island were left without electricity and dozens were injured in the powerful jolt.
As of this posting, at least 20 people were reported missing in Atsuma town in Hokkaido.
The Chitose Airport is also closed and all Shinkansen train movements have been suspended.
Those affected by the earthquake and who may require assistance may contact the Embassy at: +8180 4928 7979.
Meanwhile, next of kin in the Philippines may contact the Office of Migrant Workers Affairs at (+632) 834-4996 and email@example.com during office hours and DFA Action Center +632 834-3333 or 834-4997 after office hours. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency