MANILA � National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief, Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, on Sunday urged the public to be responsible in posting or sharing videos and photos particularly those involving crimes in social media.
Eleazar made this appeal in reaction to a viral video of a shooting incident that happened in India but was mistakenly attributed to have occurred in Caloocan City.
He slammed the netizens as irresponsible for sharing the video showing two unidentified men firing shots towards the passengers of a white car.
"Madadala lang tayo kapag ikaw na mismo ang nabiktima (Probably one would learn from this incident if you have become a victim of it)," Eleazar said in a message to reporters.
Eleazar said upon learning the video, he immediately ordered his anti-cybercrime team unit to validate it.
He said the police discovered that the shooting incident did not happen in Caloocan City but in Dwarka, New Delhi, India last month.
Eleazar urged the public to refrain from adding information to the reports they share through different social media platforms as this might cause more harm than good.
The NCRPO chief, however, acknowledged that some of the most sensational crimes in Metro Manila have been solved through the help of social media users. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency