NegOr logs 3rd dengue death as cases continue to rise

Negros Oriental recorded its third death this year due to dengue as cases of the infectious viral disease continue to rise amid what is tagged as an “epidemic” season.

Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Liland Estacion said Friday the latest weekly reporting covering May 29 to June 4 showed the total number of dengue cases reached 396.

This is 33 percent higher than last year’s 265 cases with no deaths, for the same period or from January 1 to June 4, 2021.

The latest dengue casualty is from Basay, the farthest town in the south, but no other details were given. The two previous ones were from Bayawan City and this capital city.

Canlaon City registered the highest number of dengue cases at 90, Estacion said.

“That’s the reason why we are providing Canlaon City with chemicals (for fogging) while our team will be returning on Friday to assess the status of the dengue patients there and the preventive measures being undertaken,” she said.

The others in the list of areas with the highest number of dengue cases are Bayawan City with 44; Dumaguete City, 42; Bais City, 31; and Sta. Catalina, 22.

Estacion reiterated the need to be proactive in the fight against dengue, such as through cleaning the surroundings to eliminate mosquito-breeding places, as this is the so-called outbreak season of the three-year cycle, thus they are expecting a spike in cases.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts