More communist terrorists surrender due to intensified Army ops

MANILAThe military's ongoing intensified operations against communist terrorists and other threat groups have so far resulted in the surrender of 6,709 individuals since the cancellation of peace talks last year.

"Since the cancellation of the peace talks last year 6,709 armed communist-terrorists and sympathizers have already surrendered and 288 assorted firearms were also seized," Philippine Army Spokesperson Lt. Col. Louie Villanueva said Thursday.

The campaign against the Abu Sayyaf Group, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, and Maute Group terrorists, have resulted in the capture and surrender of 96 terror personalities, he added.

Villanueva said the extension of martial law in Mindanao has contributed to the success of the military's operations. Martial law was declared on May 23, 2017 following heavy attacks of Maute Group terrorists in Marawi City.

"These victories can also be attributed to the response and cooperation of the community as well as the local leaders imbibed with the idea that security is a shared and everybody's responsibility," Villanueva added.

Congress, in a special joint session in July, granted the extension of martial law until Dec. 31, 2017 at President Rodrigo R. Duterte's request.

The Senate and House of Representatives, convening in a joint session early December, granted Duterte's request for the extension of martial law and the suspension of the privilege of writ of habeas corpus for a period of one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018. (PNA)

Source: Philippine News Agency

Related posts