MANILA -- The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will continue implementing appropriate security measures to fully secure the country during the Holy Week despite the absence of major security threats against the annual religious observation.
"There is no specific threat monitored for the Holy Week but the AFP will not put its guard down. We will continue to conduct appropriate security measures where needed to safeguard vulnerable communities," AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bienvenido Datuin said in a text message to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Friday.
He added that the military will make appropriate deployment when and where the need arises.
"In every security measure, there will always be a gap that criminals and terrorists will pursue and take advantage of," Datuin said.
And while the AFP does everything it can to protect the country and its people against all forms of threats, the military official said the help of the public in foiling lawless elements is always welcome.
"Again we recognize the importance of the help of our citizens and the community against the enemies of peace. We call on our people to be part of the security net to detect, deter and frustrate any move by criminals and terrorists," he added.
Meanwhile, Brig. Gen. Alan Arrojado, the Joint Task Force-National Capital Region commander, said his unit has organized Task Group "Lenten" to secure places of convergence for the coming Holy Week observance.
The task group will deploy about 500 regular troops and 100 reservists to secure the Quiapo Church in Manila, various bus terminals, and the South and North Harbors also in Manila; Airport Terminals 1, 2, and 3; all MRT stations; Bonifacio Global City in Taguig; SM Mega Mall in Mandaluyong and SM Mall of Asia in Pasay.
"Another force of 200 soldiers will be on standby at major service camps of the Army, Navy and the Philippine Air Force for contingencies. No threat has been detected so far but the command remains on alert," Arrojado added. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency