MANILA MalacaAang on Monday rejected claims that President Rodrigo Duterte is not taking the drug war seriously following the discovery of PHP1 billion worth of shabu from a warehouse in Malabon City.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said law enforcement agencies led by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency have carried out measures to retrieve the 146-kilogram drug haul which reportedly came from Cambodia.
To my mind, what is more important is it has been discovered. Nakalusot ka, pero natuklasan ka pa rin. So ibig sabihin, gumagana pa rin iyong kanilang security, iyong intelligence (It slipped passed Customs, but it was still discovered. That means that our security, our intelligence is still working), said Panelo in a press briefing.
It would be different kung napabayaan hanggang kumalat sa buong Pilipinas (if they allowed it to spread throughout the Philippines), he added.
Duterte will not be issuing any directives since operatives of several enforcement agencies have already retrieved the illegal drugs reportedly concealed in 114 bags and kept inside several aluminum pallets marked as tapioca.
The President doesn't have to make any instructions because the law enforcement agencies have their own responsibilities to perform. That's part of their duty, Panelo said.
Meanwhile, Panelo defended anew the reappointment of former Manila International Container Port (MICP) district collector Vener Baquiran to the Bureau of Customs (BOC) amid his alleged involvement in smuggling billions worth of shabu last year.
I said then that when he was discharged from that office, it was not due to corruption. The feeling of the President is napalusutan lang, naisahan (he was hoodwinked), Panelo said.
The appointment shows that the President trusts this man, he added. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency