A TOTAL of 59 people who ate ice cream during a commencement exercise of a day care center in Barangay Mandug, Davao City were brought to a nearby hospital Friday evening for alleged food poisoning.
The victims, most of whom were children, reportedly experienced stomach ache, dizziness, headache and vomiting.
The incident happened after the graduation rites of the day care center at DDF Village, Coog and Project Hope in Mandug Proper under the City Social Services and Development Office.
As of this posting (March 19), authorities have yet to confirm if it was indeed a case of food poisoning.
Mandug village chief Edwin Cabuguas said they suspect the ice cream donated by a councilman in the barangay was the cause of the alleged poisoning.
"They (victims) ate only ice cream after the graduation rites," Cabuguas said in a phone interview with Sun.Star Davao.
He said it was not the first time the village councilman donated ice cream to the children, adding that "it is only now that this unfortunate incident happened."
The victims were brought to Dela Cerna Medical Clinic, Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) and San Pedro Hospital.
At present, 44 patients are still being treated at SPMC while 13 are still at Dela Cerna Medical Clinic.
The police is now investigating who made the ice cream. (Sun.Star Superbalita Davao)