Some PHP16.2 million worth of properties went up in smoke when a fire caused by faulty electrical wiring gutted down the public market of Ipil, the capital town of Zamboanga Sibugay, before midnight Friday.
Insp. Percival Alar, Ipil fire marshal, said in a statement on Saturday that the fire broke out around 10:05 p.m. at the public market located in Barangay Don Andres. Fire out was declared at 11:52 p.m.
Alar said the fire, which started in one of the stalls, rapidly spread to the adjacent shops and destroyed PHP16.2 million worth of goods and structural facilities.
No casualty was reported.
“Investigation showed that the cause of fire was faulty electrical wiring due to capacity overload,” he said.
Maj. Xyronne Caronan, Ipil police chief, immediately deployed his cops as perimeter security to prevent looting.
Alar advised the public to avoid installing “octopus” electrical connections to prevent incidents of fire.
Source: Philippines News Agency