Eastern Visayas logs 3 new Covid-19 cases

The Department of Health (DOH) has confirmed three new coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases in Eastern Visayas, bringing the region’s total to 760.

 

In a press statement Friday, DOH Eastern Visayas director Minerva Molon said these include a 13-year-old female and 11-year-old male residents of Kananga town in Leyte, both locally stranded individuals (LSI) from Makati City, and a 22-year-old female close contact of a confirmed patient here.

 

“The patients are confined in their respective community isolation facilities but will be transferred to a higher health care facility if further management is needed,” Molon said.

 

They are part of the 97 swab results from the state-run Eastern Visayas Regional Covid-19 Testing Center and will be tagged as the region’s Patient Nos. 758 to 770.

 

Meanwhile, the privately-managed Covid-19 testing laboratory at Divine Word Hospital released 55 swab results, with no new confirmed case.

 

Based on the DOH monitoring report, 644 or 84.74 percent of the total confirmed cases in the region have already recovered.

 

To date, the region has 113 active coronavirus cases housed in isolation and quarantine facilities.

 

“Almost 90 percent of our patients are asymptomatic and isolated in local isolation facilities. We have recorded three severe cases, and these are the region’s three deaths in Leyte, Biliran, and Samar. The three mortalities have underlying medical conditions such as diabetes and cardiac diseases making them vulnerable to Covid-19,” Molon said.

 

The DOH attributed the region’s surge in infections since the start of June to the testing of returning residents, including repatriated overseas Filipino workers and LSIs, mostly from Metro Manila and Cebu.

 

Molon noted that community transmission has so far been prevented in the region since local government units immediately isolate these returnees upon their arrival.

 

“Most of our cases were acquired outside the region but we must not be complacent. Let us be vigilant and continue to follow minimum health standards, such as wearing a face mask, physical distancing, proper hygiene, cough etiquette, among others. Following them is still the most effective defense against the virus,” she added. (PNA)

 

Philippines News Agency

Related posts