Eastern Visayas Covid-19 tally now 822

Confirmed coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases in Eastern Visayas jumped to 822 with 15 new infections, the Department of Health reported Monday night.

 

The new cases will be tagged as the region’s patient numbers 808 to 822, DOH Eastern Visayas Director Minerva Molon said in a statement.

 

Leyte province reported 10 new infections — two in Hindang town and one each in Kananga, Villaba, Merida, Capoocan, Carigara, Barugo, Inopacan and Tacloban City, all locally stranded individuals (LSI) from Metro Manila, Cebu and Batangas.

 

“They are part of the 180 swab results from the region’s privately-managed Covid-19 laboratory at Divine Word Hospital here, of which 17 are positive including the repeat test of six confirmed patients from Leyte and one from Calbayog City in Samar,” Molon said.

 

Meanwhile, the state-run Eastern Visayas Regional Covid-19 Testing Center here released a total of 44 swab results, of which five turned positive for Covid-19. They are all residents of Calbayog City, all LSIs from Metro Manila.

 

“The region’s new confirmed patients are currently confined in the isolation facilities of their respective local governments but would be transferred to health care facilities if further management is needed,” Molon said.

 

Based on the DOH monitoring report, 650 or 79 percent of the total confirmed cases in the region have already recovered while three from Leyte, Biliran, and Samar died due to Covid-19 complications.

 

To date, the region has 169 active cases housed in isolation and quarantine facilities.

 

The DOH attributed the region’s surge in infections since the start of June to the testing of returning residents, including repatriated overseas Filipino workers and LSIs, mostly from Metro Manila and Cebu.

 

“Most cases here are asymptomatic and were acquired outside the region. But we must remain vigilant and not complacent. Community transmission has so far been prevented in the region since local government units immediately isolate returnees upon their arrival,” Molon said.

 

Meanwhile, a total of 731 LSIs from Metro Manila are expected to return to their respective hometowns in the region this week through the Hatid Tulong program of the national government.

 

Molon said local government units have been preparing more quarantine facilities to ensure these returning residents have undergone proper health protocols before contact with others in the community.

 

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts