Duterte eyes appointing Panelo as Press Secretary

MANILA President Rodrigo R. Duterte on Tuesday said that he is considering to appoint Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo as chief of the Office of the Press Secretary (OPS) should the agency be revived.

I'm going to but if I'm going to reorganize Press Secretary. Kanya lahat (It's all his), Duterte told reporters after administering the oath of officers of MalacaAang Press Corps.

Panelo if he tingnan muna natin. Kung makakuha ako ng(let's see first. If I can get a new) Presidential Legal Counsel then if he likes the job, he added.

Duterte explained that he first offered the post to his spokesperson Harry Roque, but he is yet to decide on whether to stay or leave the Cabinet to run for senator in next year's midterm elections.

Kaya naipit nga si Roque (Roque is torn). It's not my fault actually. Sabi niya tatakbo siya. Hindi siya tatakbo. Tatakbo (He said he will run, then he won't run. Then he'll run again), Duterte said.

Tapos sabi ko namili na kaagad ako. Para walang paralysis sa flow ng functions (So I said, I already selected someone. So that there won't be a paralysis in the flow of functions), he added.

Earlier, Communications Secretary Martin Andanar bared that Roque was offered the Press Secretary post. Roque, however, remains undecided on whether he would accept it.

Duterte said that Andanar may remain as consultant but did not clarify which agency he would work for.

He (Andanar) will remain a consultant, Duterte said.

Well, there's so many things that they have to reconfigure their programs sa PTV 4. Maraming baguhin diyan siguro (There's so much to change there) to make it more responsive as a sounding board for the Republic of the Philippines parang ganun (something like that), he added.

During the previous administration, the OPS was split into the PCOO and the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office (PCDSPO). The PCDSPO functions were already transferred to the PCOO.

New NFA administrator

Duterte, meanwhile, bared that he is considering appointing a ChineseFilipino to replace resigned National Food Authority (NFA) administrator Jason Aquino.

Ngayon, ang (Now in) NFA, I'm looking for somebody else. I'm looking for a Chinese who's been there in the business maybe 20 years, Duterte said.

I'll just ask him to, in the meantime, to be the NFA. Alam man nila ang negosyo na 'yan (They know the business there), he added.

During a situation briefing on Typhoon "Ompong" last month, Duterte said he wanted to appoint Philippine Army (PA) Chief Lt. Gen. Rolando Bautista as the next NFA administrator.

Last Oct. 5, Duterte said that he has named Bautista as the next Secretary of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

Naannounce ko naman (I have announced), the next DSWD Secretary was just about a few days Rolly Bautista, Duterte said in a speech before members of the Philippine Military Academy Alumni Association.

Duterte also said that at least six Cabinet members are seeking local and national posts in next year's midterm elections.

These are Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, Special Assistant to the President Christopher Bong Go, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Political Adviser Francis Tolentino, Department of Agrarian Reform Secretary John Castriciones, and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority Director General Guiling Mamondiong. (PNA)

Source: Philippine News Agency

Related posts