Duterte backs 6month Boracay closure

MANILA The rehabilitation efforts aimed at bringing back the pristine waters of Boracay island will take about six months, an interagency task force official informed President Rodrigo Duterte.

During a League of Municipalities of the Philippines (LMP) event, Duterte said he was informed by Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) officerincharge Eduardo Ano that it would take a little bit longer to finish the rehabilitation of Boracay.

He (Ano) told me it will take about something like six months. I told him then do it, Duterte said in his speech during the LMP General Assembly at the Manila Hotel on Tuesday night.

Duterte said he directed Ano to just make the recommendation where the Chief Executive will base his decision on the proposed Boracay shutdown to pave the way for the rehabilitation works.

I told him, General, you are there, I place you there, whatever is your decision I will support you, Duterte said, recalling his Monday night's conversation with the interagency task force chief.

Duterte had earlier warned to charge noncooperative local officials and appealed to the courts not to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) so as not to exacerbate the problems in Boracay.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. assured on Monday that the President would be fair in his decision based on the task force's recommendations.

Roque said whatever the decision of the President, it would be for the welfare of Boracay.

The interagency task force has recommended a total closure of the resort island but Roque clarified that the shutdown will not be permanent.

Duterte had described Boracay as a cesspool due to sewage and garbage problem destroying the island's ecosystem and endangering the health of visitors.

Source: Philippine News Agency

Related posts