MANILA -- The Department of Justice (DOJ) ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to conduct a thorough probe on the killing of Vice Mayor Alexander Lubigan of Trece Martires City, Cavite.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he has already instructed NBI Director Dante Gierran to determine whether this case is related to the killings of two other local officials last week.
We need immediate results, Guevarra said in a text message sent to Philippine News Agency.
Lubigan is the third local government official killed this month, after Tanauan City, Batangas Mayor Antonio Halili and General Tinio, Nueva Ecija Mayor Ferdinand Bote. Both killings are still under investigation.
Halili, who was in the government's narco-list, was shot dead while attending a flag-raising ceremony Monday.
On Tuesday, Bote was killed in an ambush in Cabanatuan City.
Reports showed that Lubigan, his driver Romulo Guillemer and security aide Romeo Edrinal were onboard a black Toyota Hilux traversing Trece Martires-Indang Road in Barangay Luciano, Trece Martires City when unidentified gunmen fired at them around 2:53 p.m. on Saturday.
Lubigan and Guillemer died on the spot while Edrinal was rushed to General Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial Hospital and is still in critical condition.
MalacaAang, meanwhile, condemned the killing of Lubigan.
"We strongly condemn the ambush of Trece Martires Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan this afternoon, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement sent to reporters.
Our condolences go out to the grieving family and friends of the late Vice Mayor Lubigan, he added.
Roque, meanwhile, urged the leadership of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to conduct a fair and through investigation and get to the bottom of the crime.
He also called for cooperation to stop the rising number of killings involving local government officials.
We must band together and put an end to the worrisome incidents of violence involving local politicians, he added. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency