MANILA -- Some 962 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by the recent flight delays and cancellations due to the runway closure at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) have already received a PHP5,000 cash assistance each, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
As of Friday night, the agency released PHP4.8 million from its assistance-to-nationals fund.
Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato reminded that affected individuals may still claim their financial aid at the Office of Migrant Workers Affairs (OMWA) at the third floor of the DFA Building in Pasay City until the end of office hours on August 31.
"Affected kababayan who are already abroad can file their claim at any Philippine Embassy or Consulate General until Sept. 30, 2018," Cato said.
OFWs claiming financial assistance need to personally appear and submit their airline ticket showing original date of departure; reissued ticket showing the new date of departure; employment contract; and overseas employment certificate.
A Xiamen plane skidded off a runway at the NAIA last week, resulting in the closure of the runway for about two days. Hundreds of domestic and international flights were canceled or delayed, affecting more than a thousand passengers. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency