MANILA As the mid-term elections nears, critics of the Duterte administration intensify mass actions and protest rallies.
Major General Antonio Parlade, Jr., Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Deputy Chief of Staff for Civil-Military Operations, shared in a phone interview Tuesday that these, in fact, are exploited by the terror group Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)-New People's Army (NPA)
Anti-Duterte groups are being exploited by CPP-NPA in order to ride on to common issues like Martial Law in Mindanao. The CPP-NPA are only after their funds, while these anti-Duterte groups and parties are after the latter's minimal votes, Parlade said.
The declaration of Martial Law was originally from 60 days to 222 to 587 to 952 days, from two months to seven to 19 to 31 months.
The AFP and the Philippine National Police (PNP) were the ones who recommended to President Rodrigo Duterte yet another extension of martial law in Mindanao's 27 provinces and 33 cities for another year, until December 31, 2019, bringing to 952 days the period of martial law from only 60 days when the President issued Proclamation 216 on May 23, 2017, the day one of the Marawi Siege.
The opposition knows that Martial Law is most welcome in Mindanao and is, in fact, promoting good local governance, while the security sector keeps watch, Parlade said.
In a MindaNews report, third-termer North Cotabato Rep. Nancy Catamco cited six reasons why Mindanao is in need of Martial Law:
* Reinforce all government efforts in establishing peace in Mindanao;
* Significantly lower criminality and further deter lawlessness and violence;
* Strengthen people's resolve to respect the law and government;
* Create a climate of peace and not of fear especially among investors and businesses;
* Deter private and illegal armed groups from sowing fear among idigenous Peoples communities and those in far-flung areas; and
* Ensure the prompt and unhindered delivery of infrastructure projects and other basic goods and services by the Duterte administration.
These are only the tip of the iceberg but this representation believes that the martial law in Mindanao is the better alternative that would support our government's call for lasting peace. Further, what really makes the difference is the integrity and the wisdom of the Duterte presidency to spell out its mandate of ensuring for the Filipino people a better future, Catamco was quoted as saying.
Communists, Parlade added, also pick on West Philippine Sea, the case of Rappler chief executive officer Maria Ressa, and the alleged extra-judicial killings on the war on drugs. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency