Cops in Chong aide’s death refute raps

MANILA Policemen implicated in the death of Richard Santillan, the aide of former Biliran Rep. Glenn Chong, and his female companion, filed their counter-affidavits on Monday denying the murder allegations.

All respondents were able to submit their counter-affidavits, said assistant prosecution lawyer Gino Yanga of the 23 lawmen named in the case.

Another hearing is scheduled on June 25.

The parties wanted to present additional witnesses and they will be brought that day, Yanga added, noting that each of the parties will be presenting one witness on June 25.

A complaint had been filed by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) over the Dec. 9, 2018 killing of Santillan and his female companion, Gessamyn Casing, in Barangay San Andres in Cainta, Rizal.

Named respondents for obstruction of justice were Brig. Gen. Edward Carranza, Calabarzon police regional director; Col. Lou Evangelista, Rizal provincial director; and Cainta police chief Lt. Col. Pablito Naganag.

Two counts of murder and one count of planting of evidence were filed against seven officers from the Cainta police station led by Lt. Sandro Ortega; four officers from provincial office of the Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group led by Capt. John Russel Barnacha; and 10 operatives of Regional Special Operations Unit led by M/Sgt. Rene Eufracio.

The NBI concluded that the incident was a rubout.

The concerted acts of the above police officers, before, during and after the death of (Santillan and Casing), indubitably show causal relation, thus pointing to a joint purpose, a unity of action and a community of interest to kill Santillan and Casing, the complaint read.

The NBI said Santillan and Casing were "continuously fired upon by surrounding heavily armed police officers resulting in multiple gunshot wounds (in) the different parts of their bodies, which caused their deaths.(PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts