MANILA The Commission on Elections (Comelec) First Division will deliberate on the testimonies of both parties to consolidate the petitions questioning the substitution by former National Youth Commission (NYC) chairman Ronald Cardema as the first nominee of Duterte Youth Party-list.
"The First Division will be deliberating on your pending manifestations for consolidation," said poll body First Division Presiding Commissioner Al Parreno during the hearing at the Comelec Session Hall in Manila Wednesday.
So far, two petitions have been filed before the poll body against the substitution of the youth party-list's first nominee. The first was filed by petitioners Raoul Danniel Manuel of the National Union of Students of the Philippines, Paula Sabrine Janer of the College Editors Guild of the Philippines, and Raainah Punzalan of the Youth Act Now Against Tyranny.
The second petition was filed by petitioners Aunell Ross Angcos, Cyra Aurelio, and Hannah Navarroza.
In both petitions, they claim that the 34-year-old Cardema is no longer eligible to represent the group since he is already overage.
Under the Party-list Law, a nominee of the Youth Sector must be at least 25 years old but not more than 30 years old on Election Day.
On the other hand, Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said the Commission en banc will not yet issue the Certificate of Proclamation (COP) to the Duterte Youth Party-list group which is one of 51 winning party-list organizations in the May 13 polls.
"The Commission en banc has decided that it will not yet issue a Certificate of Proclamation to the Duterte Youth party-list," she said in an interview on the sidelines of the launch of her book, "The Government Auditing Code of the Philippines".
The poll official said this is due to the pending petitions against Cardema's substitution.
The Duterte Youth was awarded one seat at the House of Representatives after getting a total of 354,629 votes in the May elections.
The COP is the requirement by the House of Representatives in allowing winning congressmen to assume their posts.
Last month, voting 5-1-1, the Commission en banc has accepted the application of Duterte Youth to substitute all its five nominees, headed by Cardema. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency