KOTA KINABALU: The brother of the Malaysian hostage beheaded by Abu Sayyaf terrorists has launched an online petition urging the Government to bring the four latest kidnap victims home.
Christopher Then, whose brother was beheaded by Abu Sayyaf on Nov 17 last year following failed negotiations, is seeking 10,000 signatures for the petition.
"My brother, Bernard Then, was murdered by these same terrorists who kill innocent victims in the name of God. Let us NOT have any more deaths in their hands,'' he said.
Christopher is seeking the return of the four Sarawakian sailors abducted from their tugboat by Abu Sayyaf-linked gunmen on April 1 in international waters off Pulau Ligitan in Sabah's Semporna district.
The four – Wong Teck Kang, 31; Wong Hung Sing, 34; Wong Teck Chii, 29, and Johnny Lau Jung Hien, 21 – are believed to be held in the Abu Sayyaf stronghold of Jolo island in the southern Philippines.
"Please join me in signing the petition to our Government to rescue the hostages and pray that our Prime Minister and the Sarawak Chief Minister will take this case seriously," Christopher said on Tuesday.
The petition can be accessed at www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveourmalaysianhostages.
Bernard, 39, a Sarawakian, was holidaying with his wife in Sandakan when he was kidnapped along with restaurant manageress Thien Nyuk Fun from the Ocean King Seafood Restaurant on May 4, 2015. Thien was released unharmed on Nov 8.
Last Thursday, a picture of the four Malaysian hostages were posted on Facebook, apparently by Abu Sayyaf.
It is understood that the gunmen has made contact with families.
Abu Sayyaf-linked gunmen staged three raids on tugboats plying international waters between Sabah and Tawi Tawi chain islands between March 26 and April 15, and abducted a total 18 sailors, including the four Malaysians.