Another arrest order out vs self-confessed ‘DDS’ hitman Matobato

DAVAO CITY� Another warrant of arrest was issued against Edgar Matobato, a self-confessed Davao Death Squad (DDS) hitman, over a kidnap-for-ransom case that happened in the Island Garden City of Samal in 2000.

Panabo City, Davao del Norte Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Dorothy P. Montejo-Gonzaga issued the warrant of arrest for Matobato and his cohort Sonny Custodio for allegedly abducting Salih Makdom in exchange for PHP100,000.

The case is non-bailable, according to the arrest warrant issued on Monday.

Makdom was identified by Matobato as the terrorist whom then Davao City mayor and now President Rodrigo Duterte allegedly ordered to be abducted. Matobato made the claim during the Senate hearing on extra-judicial killings last year.

In the affidavit-complaint of Makdom's common-law-wife Mirasol Marquez, she said the victim was abducted by Matabato's group in exchange of money.

Marquez said Makdom called her on November 9, 2000 asking her to produce PHP3 million ransom money and to drop it in one of the malls along Ilustre Street, Davao City.

She said the ransom was received by a man, who appeared to be between 20 to 30 years old. Despite the ransom payment, the suspects did not release the victim, prompting her to seek assistance from the National Bureau of Investigation-Region 11 (NBI-11).

A case was filed against Matobato and Custodio on November 17, 2000 at the Davao City Prosecutor's Office.

The case was dismissed by the Davao City Prosecutor's Office on May 30, 2001 because the incident did not happen within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City.

The NBI-11, however, re-filed the case last December 22 at the Island Garden City of Samal Prosecutor's Office, which indicted the suspects.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts