MANILA While it says there is no reason for alarm, the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said authorities are validating reports of bomb threats in Metro Manila, which are circulating through social media and text messages, following the attack on a military detachment in Lamitan City, Basilan last week.
"These information are all for validation. We do not take them for granted, palagi natin ito pinapa-validate hindi lang sa NCR (National Capital Region) kundi sa buong Pilipinas (we always validate these, not only those mentioning NCR but also the entire country)," PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde told reporters in Camp Crame.
"Sa ngayon, wala naman tayo nakikitang (So far, we do not see any) cause for alarm or to be concerned but then again we have to be on our toes. We really have to monitor and intensify our intelligence monitoring including our community based intelligence monitoring natin,"Albayalde said.
The explosion took place at 5:50 a.m. on July 31 near the Magwakit Detachment in Barangay Colonia, Lamitan City.
Reports said troops in the area intercepted a white van containing an improvised explosive device.
The vehicle was being inspected when an explosion occurred killing one soldier, five CAFGU members and four civilians, including the driver who was believed to be the suspect.
Also wounded were one CAFGU and six members of the 9th Scout Ranger Company. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency