AFP chief mulls 3rd party in review of PMA reforms

MANILA The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is looking at the possibility of bringing in a third party to help in the ongoing review of programs and systems in the Philippine Military Academy (PMA), as part of the efforts to stamp out maltreatment incidents following the death of a plebe last month.

"We might get third party people that can help us look into what systems (that might) have to be changed in PMA," said AFP Chief-of-Staff Lt. Gen. Noel Clement in an interview shortly after the flag-raising ceremonies in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City on Monday.

Clement said they are looking at reforms on training cadets and duties of officers assigned at the academy.

"(Possible changes) are not only on how we train our cadets but probably how the officers are assigned there perform their respective duties in as far as training the cadets are concerned," he said.

He said the possible composition of the third party that will do the review include members of the academe and former graduates of the military academy.

Cadet 4th Class Darwin Dormitorio died on the morning of Sept. 18, more than an hour when taken to the PMA station hospital after complaining of stomach ache and continuous vomiting.

In wake of Dormitorio's death, two ranking officials of the PMA, Lt. Gen. Ronnie Evangelista, the Academy's Superintendent, and the Commandant of the Corps of Cadet, Brig. Gen. Vicente Bartolome Bacarro, filed their resignations.

At least 12 cadets and tactical officers were also charged. (PNA)

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts