MANILA Six individuals who illegally ran an open dumpsite in Bustos, Bulacan were apprehended by agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
In a statement Thursday, the NBI said facing charges for violation of Republic Act (RA) No. 9003, or the Ecological Solid Water Management Act of 2000, and RA 8550, or the Fisheries Code of the Philippines, are Jody Mendioro, Rodolfo Maniquis, Nestor Galves, Fernando Logronio, Juan Francisco Cruz, and Cesar Ramirez.
The six suspects, who operated the one-hectare open dumpsite, have been presented for inquest proceedings before the Department of Justice (DOJ) for violation of Section 37 (use of open dumpsite), Section 48 (transportation and dumping in bulk of collected wastes) of RA 9003, and Section 107 (aquatic pollution) of RA 8550.
The suspects' arrest stemmed from a complaint regarding the illegal operation of an open dumpsite in Barangay Tanawan, Bustos, Bulacan.
NBI Director Dante Gierran said they were able to verify from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Environmental Management Bureau 3 (Central Luzon) that maintaining an open dumpsite is illegal and that no permit, license or grant had been issued to any individual or entity allowing such operation.
The NBI operatives seized a backhoe loader, a mini-dump truck and a loading bin from the site.
The suspects, who were identified as job order employees of the municipality of Bustos, claimed that the municipality, through the mayor, operates the open dumpsite.
The NBI pointed out that the open dumpsite poses risks to human health and aquatic resources since it is adjacent to the Bustos River. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency