TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol-- Teams have been sent to conduct rescue operations of three persons who remained missing since Monday at the height of continuous downpour.
One of the missing persons was a crewmember of a motorboat ferrying tourists to Siquijor that capsized off Balicasag seawaters on its way back to Panglao; while the two others were children who were carried away by strong river current in two different barangays in the town of Trinidad.
One of the two survivors in the sea mishap, Verjel Claraval, 17, had been rescued in Sinipay Island in Zamboanga Del Norte.
Claraval's mother contacted the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) station in Panglao at around 4 p.m. on Jan. 17, informing that her son was already safe.
The other survivor, 28-year-old Shino Dadios, a resident of barangay Bolod in Panglao, was found at around 2 p.m. on the same day by residents of the coastal barangay of Tongo in Siquijor town, province of Siquijor.
The residents of the village brought Dadios to a hospital for medical attention.
Dadios sustained an injury in the mouth after the boat's outrigger hit him when a big wave shoved the boat upon reaching the area between Balicasag Island and Siquijor.
Shino Dadios also told Siquijor police officers that he was with his 19-year-old nephew, Orly Dadios, but he lost the latter while they were swimming to the shore.
In barangay Trinidad, two boys went missing after being carried away by strong river current at the height of heavy downpour on Monday.
Police Officer 3 Floriano Hinlayagan of Trinidad Police Station reported to the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) that 14-year-old Jomel Orivillo, a resident of barangay Santo Tomas, was bathing in the river with friends at around 3 p.m. on Monday when the strong current swept him.
The other victim, four-year-old Troy Andales, from barangay Cabiguhan, had fallen into the ravaging river in their barangay at around 5 p.m. on Monday while watching coconuts being carried by the floods.
The PDRRMO also received a report that a landslide covered the road from barangay Sto. NiAo to barangay Buyog in Getafe, and in barangay Buyog Norte in Balilihan.
Landslides and flashfloods were also reported in Tubigon, Calape, barangay Baang in Catigbian, barangay Hanopol in Balilihan, and barangays Rosario and Loreto in Cortes.
Loboc River also overflowed and flooded the highway and nearby communities up to knee-high.
This prompted the local government unit to suspend the operation of Loboc River Cruise.
The PDRRMO reported that 38 families had evacuated due to flooding.
The 38 families included 11 from barangay Camayaan, Loboc comprising 35 individuals; eight families in Nueva Fuerza, Carmen; 15 families in Pondol, Loon; and four families comprising 19 individuals in Barangay Ilaud, Inabanga.
Barangay Jimilian, Loboc was also flooded.
The Philippine Coast Guard had suspended boat trips based on state weather bureau PAGASA's gale warning on Tuesday.
Gov. Edgar Chatto ordered the suspension of classes for kindergarten, elementary and high school province-wide from 2 p.m. on Jan. 16 until the following day to ensure the safety of schoolchildren from the flashfloods due to hours of moderate to heavy downpour.
Upon the instruction of the governor, the PDRRMO yesterday convened the disaster relief teams of DSWD, PSWD and Red Cross to attend to the needs of residents in affected areas.
The governor surveyed the extent of damage in Tubigon, Catigbian, Balilihan, Cortes, Sikatuna, Loboc, Bilar, Carmen and Sagbayan.
He also "directed Provincial Agriculture Office Chief Larry Pamugas to immediately submit agriculture sector damage reports due to flooding".
The governor also "dispatched engineering teams to landslide affected areas".
Joven Uy of Tzu Chi Foundation-Bohol on Tuesday met PDRRMO head Anthony Damalerio and Batuan Mayor Antonino Jumawid to pledge relief operations to be undertaken in affected areas.
Damalerio said Tzu Chi Foundation-Bohol was the first non-government organization to express intention to help in the relief operation.
In time of the blessing of TaRSIER117 emergency response vehicles and firefighting protective equipment, the provincial government also launched yesterday, the TaRSIER117 quick response application that smartphone users can download.
Provincial Administrator Alfonso Damalerio II explained that the TaRSIER117 app serves as a "quick dialer app and it has a directory for emergency situations".
"It was launched on Jan. 17 at the People's Mansion after the blessing of New TaRSIER117 emergency responses vehicles and facilities. It will be modified later on to include quick guides on how to respond to emergency situations," Damalerio added. (PNA)
Source: Philippines News Agency