MANILA The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday again warned Filipinos in Libya to stay vigilant in the wake of a terrorist suicide bomb attack in Tripoli on Monday.
In a statement sent by DFA Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato, the department called on the 1,800 Filipinos in the Libyan capital to restrict their movement and continue to exercise caution following the attack by Islamic extremists at the National Oil Corp. headquarters in Dhara district.
To date, there are 3,500 Filipinos in the Arab country.
Charge d'Affaires Mardomel Melicor of the Philippine embassy in Tripoli said six suicide bombers carried out the attack that left at least two persons dead. However, he reported that no Filipino was hurt or working for the agency.
Melicor advised Filipinos to remain alert despite the halt in the factional fighting in Tripoli, following a United Nations-brokered ceasefire.
Meanwhile, he assured that the embassy remains ready to assist any Filipino who wants to return to the Philippines.
Cato said crisis alert level 3 or voluntary repatriation is still in place in Libya.
Of the 1,800 Filipinos in Tripoli, Cato told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that no one has asked the embassy for assistance on repatriation.
"Level 3 is voluntary evacuation. No one has asked to be repatriated so far," he said in a text message. (PNA)
Source: Philippine News Agency