Pork supply in Cebu ‘abundant’ as Christmas nears

Local pork producers in Cebu have assured consumers there is enough supply of the meat in the province as the Christmas season nears.

According to data from the Central Visayas Pork Producers Cooperative (CeViPPCo), Cebu province has an oversupply of pork.

Provincial veterinarian Dr. Mary Rose Vincoy on Wednesday said this is mainly because some hotels here, which are among the strong buyers of these products, have yet to open amid the pandemic.

But officials said there is also growing demand for Cebu-produced pork in other areas of the country.

Governor Gwen Garcia noted that some 22 provinces in Luzon are now buying from hog growers and pork producers in Cebu.

“The reason why there is now a spike in demand (is) because (in) 22 provinces in Luzon, ASF (African swine fever) has again struck, that’s why they’re buying from us,” she said in a statement.

With the rise in demand, local hog growers are now enjoying higher prices for their produce, Garcia said.

Earlier in May, the provincial government announced the indefinite extension of the pork ban.

In September 2019, Garcia issued Executive Order 16 imposing a 100-day ban on live hogs and pork products from areas infected with the virus specifically from Luzon and China.

By December, she issued a similar ban for the pork entry coming from Eastern Visayas and by February 2020, she expanded the ban to Mindanao.

Garcia said the Capitol will continue to implement the ban on the entry of live hogs, pork meat and other pork-related products from Luzon and other areas in Visayas and Mindanao affected by the ASF.

“There are no changes. We continue to abide by the executive orders that I have issued as regards the banning of the entry of pork and pork related products from the entire Luzon, Region 8 and from the entire Mindanao,” she said.

She added that the quarantine for raw materials needed to produce hog feeds sourced from Mindanao and overseas will remain.

Last March, Garcia met with local feed millers to discuss the mandatory quarantine for corn coming from Mindanao and in neighboring Asian countries.

Most of the local feed millers source their raw materials, particularly corn from the island-region.

As a result, Garcia urged feed millers to source their corn needs locally or produce their own raw materials as this will create jobs.

Corn from Mindanao will be quarantined for 20 days while those coming from abroad will have a 15-day quarantine.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Related posts