Metro Manila will remain under general community quarantine (GCQ) status until November 30 along with other areas, President Rodrigo Duterte announced in a pre-recorded address aired Tuesday morning.
In his speech, Duterte said the mayors of Metro Manila wanted to retain the current quarantine classification in the region.
“Ang gusto ng mga mayor, karamihan, gusto nila (the majority of mayors want to), make it permanent because they have seen the goodness of the result na (that) it has considerably lowered the number of people infected with the microbe,” Duterte said.
He explained that the decision to retain the GCQ status is for everyone’s own good.
“So gusto nila ito. Palagay ko naman sa inyo rin itong kapakanan (I think this is for your own good). Look, we are not here to make your life miserable or sad. We are here to make your life comfortable and to make you happy,” he added.
Aside from Metro Manila, Batangas, Iloilo City, Bacolod City, Tacloban City, Iligan City, and the province of Lanao del Sur will also remain under GCQ status.
Last week, Metro Manila mayors recommended retaining GCQ status for the rest of the year.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque earlier said their proposal is subject to the approval of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).
He also admitted that the IATF is hesitant about further relaxing quarantine restrictions as it may result in a possible spike in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases.
In a Palace press briefing, Roque said that the new quarantine classifications are still subject to appeal by local government units (LGUs).
LGUs may submit their appeals before the IATF-EID until Wednesday, he added.
As of Monday, the Philippines logged 371,630 confirmed Covid-19 cases, with 36,333 active cases, 328,528 recoveries, and 7,039 deaths.
Source: Philippines News Agency