You are here

JBC opens application for CA justice, court judges post in Region 4

MANILA-- The Judicial Bar Council (JBC) announced that application is now open for vacancies in the Court of Appeals (CA) and judges of local courts in Region 4.

In its announcement, the JBC said the position of CA Presiding Justice Justine Andres Reyes will be open following his appointment as new magistrate in Supreme Court.

Reyes took his oath last Friday as the the third appointee of President Rodrigo Duterte in the Supreme Court.

He will replace Associate Justice Bienvenido Reyes who compulsorily retired at the age of 70 on July 6, 2017.

Reyes was handpicked from a shortlist of seven nominees submitted by the JBC last month. He topped the list after earning the unanimous votes of all seven members of the council tasked to vet nominees to judicial posts.

The President earlier promoted Sandiganbayan Samuel Martires and CA Associate Justice Noel Tijam to the SC.

Duterte is set to appoint another SC justice for the post to be vacated by the retirement of Associate Justice Jose Mendoza on August 13, 2017.

Mendoza has been appointed to the SC in January 2010 by then President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Prior to his appointment at the SC, Mendoza served as a regional trial court judge since 1989.

President Duterte is expected to appoint at least 12 justices in the SC during his six-year term.

Apart from the position of Reyes, the JBC announced that it is also accepting applications for the vacancy 99 Judgeship Positions in 10 provinces comprising Region 4 which are Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, Marinduque, Mindoro Occidental, Mindoro Oriental, Palawan, Quezon, Rizal and Romblon.

Opening for judgeship positions in Region 4 are for Regional Trial Courts (RTCs), Municipal Trial Courts (MTCs), and Municipal Trial Courts in Cities (MTCCs).

The deadline for filing of applications or recommendations and complete documentary requirements is on August 29, considering the date of actual receipt by the JBC of the applications and complete documentary requirements shall be deemed as the date of filing.

The JBC however said that, Applications sent through electronic mail or facsimile machine, as well as other documents which are incomplete, out of date, or without a transmittal letter, shall not be given due course. The transmittal letter must contain a manifestation that all the documents submitted are complete and up to date.

Also, previous applicants who are interested in the aforementioned positions must submit two complete sets of the required documents. Yet, they should submit a mere manifestation of an intent to apply for any of the aforementioned positions if they have submitted a complete set of documents within thirty (30) days prior to the filing of such manifestation.

Apart from Mendoza, the JBC announced that it is also accepting applications for the vacancy at the Sandiganbayan that was made open with the retirement of Associate Justice Maria Cristina Cornejo.

The JBC is chaired by Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Aranal-Sereno, with two ex-officio members -- Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II and legislative representatives Senator Richard Gordon and Mindoro Oriental Rep. Reynaldo Umali, who shall have a term sharing seat in the JBC.

The regular members are retired SC Justice Angelina Sandoval-Gutierrez, who heads the Executive Committee; lawyer Jose Mejia, representing the academe; lawyer Milagros Fernan-Cayosa, representing the Integrated Bar of the Philippines; and retired Judge Toribio Ilao, representing the private sector.

Source: Philippine News Agency

Related posts